The River of Heaven
TENKAWA VILLAGE, Yoshino Nara
Welcome to Tenkawa Village, the connoisseur’s haven.
Blessed by the co-existence of natural beauty and fine Japanese tradition and culture.
Shugendo, a syncretic religion, incorporates Japan’s ancient nature worship with Shinto and Buddhism.
(Many Japanese believe that God or an essence of him exists in mountains, water or huge trees. This could be based in Shugendo, which preaches that God resides in every single tree and blade of grass) As the origin of Shugendo, Tenkawa Village has been long been regarded as a sacred land and home of the God of water, considered the source of life. We find mention of it at many of the major milestones of history spanning over 1350 years. .
The village, which has been designated as a World Heritage Site, has in recent years developed a reputation as a mystical or holy land or the home of spirits where we pray for the restoration of the origin or the recovery of things lost.
Escape the bustle of the metropolis and enjoy the relaxed countryside where you are in close contact with nature and the root of Japanese spirit and culture. You MUST taste fresh water from the Village, which is considered by many as a water sanctuary of sorts, and treat your senses with the charms of a clear, beautiful flowing emerald green stream!
A traditional Japanese-style inn lullabied by a babbling brook
Our small and casual inn accommodates up to a maximum of five groups a night but allows you to genuinely experience Japanese culture as it is manifested in the daily lives of Japanese people, something you will never get from city hotels or large tourist hotels. Our motto is offering with sincerity the “hospitality” that has been cultivated over our long history.
Wear a yukata and sleep on a futon in a Japanese-style room blessed by the burbling nearby of a fresh Tenkawa Village stream. Enjoy Japanese cuisine and local specialties cooked with aromatic soft water from famous Japanese springs. Refreshing water, savory cooked rice, hearty miso soup and soothing teas are offered to reinvigorate tired travelers. (Enjoy the flavor of Japanese rice freshly cooked immediately before serving!)
Along with the beautiful culinary offerings, we recommend savoring some of our high grade sakes, particularly local sake brewed with a longer process and more care than you will find at leading breweries.
Let the babbling brook just outside your room soothe your weary bones!
You will find the lack of convenience in terms of transportation in Tenkawa Village is fully made up for by the scenic and natural beauty of Japan. Though staff members are not familiar with foreign languages, they keep their eyes out for all customers and provide service to foreigners with a smile.
- Check-in: from 3:00 p.m.
- Check-out: 10:00 a.m.
Our Yoshino-date (a traditional construction method in which a building is erected on a slope facing a river) building features a number of staircases. Please be aware that these stairs must be used to move between your room and the restaurant or bath. (No elevators or escalators.)
- The floor and alcove posts are made of precious Yoshino cedarwood while the outdoor deck of the premium room is of Yoshino cypress. Enjoy the babbling brook and the cedar aromas. (The entrance and ceiling of the premium room are made of wood from approximately 80-year old Yoshino cedars)
- Japanese tea sets are supplied in each room.
- The tap water in the building is safe and drinkable. (The soft water of Tenkawa Village is considered by many to be among the tastiest in Japan)
- Wi-Fi is available in all rooms.
- Please refrain from smoking except outdoors on the deck.
- The electric toilet seats are equipped with hot water spray feature.
The bath is a private bath that requires advance reservation for each room.
- Please note this is not an ONSEN (spa) type facility and the bathwater is not circulated, however, you will find the soft water has a strong revitalizing effect, including improving your skin tone.
- Please be informed that the open-air bath is not available during peak hours as we honor preferences in order of arrival or reservation.(Please understand the reservations are limited to 45 minutes.)
- Showers are available in the morning only. (Make a reservation if needed!)
- The bath closes at 23:00.